What We're Doing
To celebrate our 10th birthday on 9/30/21, we're launching our first Refer-a-Thon! A very generous donor has provided funding for up to 50 Cotappers to win 20 tonnes each - a $300 value and typically more than enough to offset your annual unavoidable CO2 emissions.
How it Works
- Share this link with your friends, family, and co-workers and instruct them to enter your name in the "Referred by" field when donating: https://cotap.org/donate/10-years/.
- The winners will be the first 50 Cotappers who refer at least 5 new Cotappers who offset at least 5 tonnes/$75 each.
- Each winner will receive 20 tonnes retired on their behalf, an offsetting e-certificate, and a COTAP "global climate justice" t-shirt.
Current Standings (as of 8/23/22)
(Rows will be added to this table as the contest progresses.)
[table id=8 /]
Important Rules & Notes
- This contest is open to everyone. If you become a first-time Cotapper as a result of this contest, you too are eligible to win.
- This contest ends when 50 people have each referred 5+ people, each of whom have offset 5+ tonnes. Though referral donations may continue to come in after that point, the standings will not continue to be updated after the contest has ended. Referrals under this contest will not be carried over to any similar future incentivized word-of-mouth campaign.
- Winners will receive individualized COTAP e-certificates noting their 20-tonne offset. Winners do not take possession of carbon credits; rather, carbon credit retirements will be made on winners' behalf. Each of our 6 partner projects will receive 167 tonnes and retirements will be made with remarks of "Retired on behalf of COTAP's 10-year anniversary Refer-a-Thon contest." or similar. For more, please see https://cotap.org/transparency.
- These rules and notes are subject to updates.
- Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The referrer must be an existing COTAP donor.
- The referral cannot be an existing COTAP donor.
- Referrals must offset/donate using this link https://cotap.org/donate/10-years/.
- A referral cannot be claimed by more than one referrer. Only the first referrer will be counted. A referral cannot make two $75+ donations and give two different referrer names, for example.
- If a referral makes more than one donation, they only count as one referral but their tonnes/$ will be reflected in the standings.
- The referrer must be an individual and cannot be an organization.
The standings table above will list winning entrants by first name initial and last name. For example, Evelyn Smith will appear as E. Smith. If you would like to remain anonymous, let us know at email@example.com. That said, your referrals must provide your name when donating or we'll have no way of knowing their donation is attributable to you. Learn more about COTAP's privacy policies at https://cotap.org/privacy.
Where The Money Goes
Donations through this campaign are allocated the same as a regular COTAP donation. COTAP's pricing is $15/tonne, our margin is 10%, and the remaining 90% gets paid out evenly to our partner projects in Nicaragua, Uganda, India, Fiji, Indonesia, and Mexico. Projects share 60%+ of carbon revenues with participating communities, so with COTAP you are creating $8.10+ per tonne in income for the poorest communities in the world. For more, please see https://cotap.org/transparency.