COTAP has partnered with CARS! Founded in 2003, CARS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and well-respected leader in the vehicle donation space that has supported over 3,500 nonprofits. CARS accepts many different types of vehicles as noted in the “Important Notes” section below. Check out our car donation case studies here.
How it Works
- Fill out the form on our CARS page at https://careasy.org/carbonoffsetstoalleviatepovertyCOTAP or call CARS at 855-500-RIDE (7433)
- Provide COTAP’s IRS charity number 27-4220630.
- Let them know whether you want your donation proceeds to go to:
- Offsetting to all COTAP Projects (COTAP receives 10% of net proceeds),
- Offsetting to one specific COTAP Project (COTAP receives 10% of net proceeds), or
- COTAP’s operations (COTAP receives 100% of net proceeds)
- That’s it… CARS does EVERYTHING else, from vehicle pickup to donation receipt!
- If you expect that your vehicle will sell for more than $500, please have your Tax Identification Number available so that CARS can prepare the IRS form 1098-C ($500 to $5k) or 8283 ($5k+) for you, as applicable.
- For U.S. residents. Some areas of Canada are also eligible. For details, please contact CARS.
- In addition to automobiles, CARS also accepts trucks, trailers, boats, RV’s, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and other motorized vehicles.
- Vehicles do not have to be in operational condition.
- Your ability to claim a 2020 tax year deduction depends on when you call or submit the online form, NOT when your car is picked up, sold, etc. If you donate by December 31st 2020, you’ll have this info by the time you file your 2020 income tax return.
- The value of your donated vehicle does not need to be established at the time of donation.
- For tax purposes, please use receipts and donation value provided by CARS, not the offsetting acknowledgement and net amount received by COTAP.
- CARS is partnered with many vehicle “auction houses” across the U.S. Vehicles generally take between 4-13 weeks to be fully processed (from pickup to tax receipt).
- If a CARS partner auction house determines that the highest bid is significantly below a vehicle’s value, then they reserve the right to reject the winning bid and auction the car again.
- CARS’ partner auction houses typically take $80-$140 for towing/auctioning, and CARS takes 30% after that.
- CARS’ percentage goes down to 25% after 50 cars are donated to COTAP, and down to 20% after 100 cars are donated.
- Other questions? Please see CARS’ FAQ and/or contact us at email@example.com