Personal Information Collection
Personal information is any information about you that is personally identifiable, such as your name, address, e-mail address or telephone number. The only personally identifying information that we collect and store about you is the information that you choose to provide to us. When COTAP collects any personal information on the Website, we will express our need for the personal data at the point of collection. Personal information is any information that can be used to identify an individual, and may include, name, email address, postal or other physical address, title, occupation, and other information required to carry out a transaction or activity you have requested. Some of the reasons we collect your personal information include:
- Customer testimonials/Providing online feedback: COTAP welcomes feedback on your experience with our products. Our Site’s form for providing feedback allows users to choose to provide their name and email address, along with any other information, including, testimonials, complaints or comments that you provide in the feedback. When you submit such comments, you consent to the use, collection and/or disclosure of such information.
Aggregate Information Collection
We may collect aggregate information by monitoring the use of the Site through web server logs and cookies. Cookies tell us nothing about you personally, but allow us to customize the Site to better meet your needs. Cookies cannot pass on viruses, harm your computer or pass on private information such as an e-mail address without your intervention. If you are uncomfortable about cookies, you should be able to disable your web browser from accepting cookies or to alert you before accepting cookies.
Uses of your Personal Information
We use the personal information that you choose to provide us for purposes such as:
- Sending you information about COTAP: We will use your contact information to send you our newsletters, updates on the specific COTAP project(s) in relation which you have matched your carbon footprint, and other information that we think you might be interested in regarding our products and services or that relate to the donation that you have made.
- Processing payments: We will use your personal information to process payments (e.g., a donation transaction).
- Responding to testimonials/feedback: We listen closely to what our users tell us and use your feedback to improve our services. We will use your personal information to respond to the feedback, comments or complaints that you may provide COTAP.
- Calculating carbon footprint: We use the information you provide to calculate your carbon footprint and we use your carbon footprint solely for information purposes to suggest and guide you towards an appropriate donation amount. COTAP counts the carbon footprints of its donors in order to accurately match donors with specific projects and to ensure that the required quantities of tonnes are retired on our donors’ behalf.
Sharing your Personal Information
Security of Personal Information
Security for all personally identifiable information is extremely important to us. We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. When we transfer sensitive personal data (for example, credit card information) over the Internet, we protect it using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit. We recommend you to take every precaution in protecting your personal information when you are on the Internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and make sure you use a secure browser. While we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
The COTAP blog is a public forum. Information that is intended to be made public, including postings in the blog or any other interactive areas of the Website or other information is not considered personal information under this Policy. Please consider this before posting material to such forums.
The Website is designed for users who are above the age of 18. COTAP does not intentionally solicit or collect personal information about children who are under the age of 18. If you are under 18 and would like to use our Website, please ask your parent or guardian for assistance.
COTAP recommends that parents or guardians do not post, or permit others to post, any personally identifiable information of anyone under the age of 18.
We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the internet and the information they disclose on websites. Here are a few tips to help make a child’s online experience safer:
- Teach children never to give personal information (such as name, address, phone number, school, etc.) unless supervised by a parent or responsible adult.
- Know the sites your children are visiting and which sites are appropriate.
- Look for website privacy policies. Know how your child’s information is treated.
Version 1.0: July 21, 2011